Monday, May 2, 2016

Happy, Happy 103rd Birthday, Myrtle!

I almost missed it! Today marks the 103rd anniversary of the birth of my grandmother, Mary Myrtle Behrle Rueff. My grandparents were a lot fun and I remember the last summer I got to spend with Myrtle and George. 

My Mom was going home to Louisville for a high school reunion in 1976. My cousin Becky Elbert was there and I had saved up my babysitting money to go too. Becky and I had a grand time! Myrtle's rule was we could not go past the drive way of the neighbor to her right, the Seng family or the neighbor on the left, the Cox family. We were not allowed to walk around the block without her! As older kids (10 and up) and teenagers it drove us crazy!

One day Becky and I wanted to go for a ride with the boy next door, Skip Cox (I believe) to the shopping center that was not far from our grandparents home. We asked Myrtle, who told us no, so we asked George, well of course he said yes! Myrtle was so mad and I think she was more mad with our poor Grandpa than she was with us! She didn't let Becky and I out of her sight after that!

During my visit to Louisville, my aunt and uncle, Kenny and Barbara Rueff were also visiting. At that time they were living in Memphis, Tennessee. I wanted to go and visit with them too! It was all worked out and I was able to go to Memphis to visit with them and my cousins. It was also in Memphis, where I got to attend my very first rock concert on July 4th, 1976. I have always been a big fan of Elvis and Uncle Kenny made sure I got to see Graceland even though at that time it was not the tourist attraction it is now.

I didn't know then that it would be the last time I saw Myrtle. I wish I had told my Mom or my Aunt & Uncle that I had found liquor bottles in hidden places like the laundry area in the garage or the tank on the back of the toilet or in the pocket of her Lazy Boy chair. Maybe if I had she would have been with us a little longer but hindsight is 20/20 and I didn't know then what I know now about the effects of long term alcohol use. Nor did know that I would lose her just a little over a year later in September of 1977.

Myrtle, I love you so much! I hope you and George are having a grand old time celebrating your heavenly birthday today!

This is Myrtle and George Rueff, my grandparents. I just love this picture of them because it is how I remember them the most. From my personal collection.



























No comments:

Post a Comment