Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday - George and Myrtle Rueff


This is marker for my maternal grandfather, George Kenneth Rueff (1905-1991) is buried beside my grandmother, Mary Myrtle Behrle Rueff (1913-1977) at Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.

When I went to pay my respects back in 2004, I notice that tombstone was lopsided (see the top picture) but it wasn't just lopsided it was sinking on one end. I got back in my car and drove back up to the office and asked if they would fix it. Of course they did as you can see in the bottom picture. When there is too much rain or melting snow their stone will start to sink on the left hand side. This is because my grandparents and the others around them are buried in a run off zone. When I came back a week later for Mother's Day, the stone had been leveled off again.

There is a story to this particular cemetery plot. When my grandmother passed away, my grandfather picked the plot and told his children (those that were with him at the time) that once he was dead and buried, he and Myrtle could lay there and watch the red birds "!$#&" all of over them. If you look at the bottom picture, you will see the tree to which my grandfather was referring to in upper left hand corner.




No comments:

Post a Comment