Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Little About Me...

Hello,

I want to tell you a little about me. Somewhere deep inside my heart and soul I started preparing for my role of "family historian" at an early age. 

I feel as though genealogy has always been a part of me for as long as I can remember. I know it started as a result of listening to the adults of our family talking while visiting grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins but of course we were suppose to be asleep. I also know that it comes from wanting to know about my "biological family". Yes, I am adopted and that is for now a story will be told at a much later date. However, more importantly I am the daughter of Bill & Nina and the oldest of their five children. I am a daughter, sister, aunt, wife, mother and grandmother. Their family history is my family history because it is all I have ever known and it will always be that way.

One thing I remember doing as a kid was to read the obituaries in our local paper. I would wonder why someone had died so young. I would wonder what kind of life the "old" people had lived. To this day I still read the obituaries especially now that we live in South Carolina where my children's paternal grandmother's family ties run very, very deep.

I love cemeteries. We spent a year living in Ohio while my Dad was training with NCR when I was eleven years old. I found an old, fenced in cemetery behind a Hardee's near our apartment. I would go and read each grave marker and wonder what had happened to them. There are some very small church cemeteries near where we live that I fully intend to explore soon.

Over the years I have found myself as the "caretaker" of certain family members. Those who outlived their children, the ones who never married or the ones who married but never had children. I want to be sure that they are not forgotten in the story of my family. I will tell their stories here at some point in the future.

Take care,

Dawn






No comments:

Post a Comment