Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Goals for 2016 and Beyond


I have been thinking of my genealogy goals for 2016. I have read several of my fellow bloggers goals for 2016 and have been inspired by several as well. I think these goals are all attainable by the end of 2016. Now some of these goals are also long term goals too. 

Thank you to Peggy Clemens Lauritzen, for her post, He Will Live On Through My Words about keeping the story of her son Peter and her family's memories of him alive for future generations. Her post and one of my goals for 2016 were inspired by an article written by Ryan Kelly for Ensign Magazine in February of 2015. The article is titled, Loving Those Who Have Gone Before Us.

I have started a new blog, The Other Side of Scarlet, about my journey for searching for my birth family. Making that journey into a blog became goal in the spring of 2015. Now that I am writing for 2 blogs I need to really sit down and plan a new schedule for both Dawning Genealogy. Both blogs will have similar posts such as Tombstone Tuesday and Surname Saturday. I also want to write 2 or 3 posts a week for both. With this in mind here are my goals for 2016 and beyond.

My Goals for 2016

  • Begin the NGS's American Genealogical Studies program no later than April 2016.
  • Find more genealogy webinars and/or programs that are going to help me reach my goal of becoming a Certified Genealogist.
  • Progress from writing for one blog to two. 
  • Contribute 2 to 3 posts about family for both blogs. Not including already set weekly and/or daily posts.
  • Plan for at least one cemetery research trip close to home.
  • Plan for at least one research trip for this year. Ideally I would like to plan at least one out of state and maybe 3 or 4 small day trips that are close to home.
  • Add one new series of posts. That would be my "Remembering Those From the Past for the Future" inspired by Peggy Clemens Lauritzen and Ryan Kelly. I will publish these posts once a month.
My Long Term Goals - Hopefully all completed by 2020.

  • Complete the American Genealogical Studies program.
  • Begin the process of becoming certified.
  • Join all the state genealogical societies for the five (5) major states I research in.
  • Go to The National Genealogical Society Conference for 2017 in Raleigh, NC.
  • Go to Roots Tech.
  • Go to at least one institute study week.
  • Plan my first research trip to Salt Lake City.
I believe that my 2016 are reasonable and not to far out of reach. I also think my long term goals are attainable but whether they are all attainable by 2020, I am not sure but I will do everything in my power to make sure that happens. As I check off each item for 2016 I will write a post about my accomplishment, good or bad. 




Sources:


Lauritzen, Peggy, "He Will Live Through My Words", Peggy Lauritzen, Anxiously Engaged, 1 January 2016. (http://alwaysanxiouslyengaged.blogspot.com/2016/01/he-will-live-on-through-my-words.html : 2016).

Kelly, Ryan, "Loving Those Who Have Gone Before Us". February 2015. E-journal. Ensign Magazine, (https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/02/young-adults/loving-those-who-have-gone-before-us?lang=eng : 2016).

No comments:

Post a Comment