Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday - Pvt. Frederick Orth (abt 1828-1863)





Photo Courtesy of John S. Sims and his Find A Grave Memorial# 74080614

My 3rd great grandfather, Frederick Orth, immigrated to the United States in 1858 from Germany with his wife and two of his 4 children. The family resided in Louisville, Kentucky. He served in the 6th Kentucky Infantry Regiment, Company I. The 6th Infantry was formed late in 1861 and of the 10 companies formed, four of them were German immigrants who were residents of Kentucky and a few from Indiana.

My 3rd great grandfather, Pvt. Frederick Orth was wounded at the Battle of Missionary Ridge on 25 November 1863 and died from the wounds he received on 28 November 1863. He is buried at Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, Tennessee.






2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you've found gravestones. I have not a single one to look at -- it seems like such a simple thing, but my ancestors didn't leave a lot for me to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elise! The only reason I have Frederick's gravestone picture is through the kindness of Findagrave.com. I'm sorry that you don't a place to go and visit your ancestors. It is such a simple thing but it is also a place to draw inspiration from and in my case it is where I go to fuss because I can't quite pull all the information together because I am missing a piece of the puzzle!

      Delete