Saturday, August 30, 2014

A New to me Feature at www.FamilySearch.org

This week as I have been working on future blogs about my pioneering ancestors I discovered a "new to me" feature at www.FamilySearch.org. I have been specifically working on my Mormon Pioneers this week. I am intrigued by my second cousin, Charles Coulson Rich and why he converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons) from the Society of Friends (Quakers).

To learn more about Charles I have been going through anything I can find at www.FamilySearch.org. I decided I would see what I could find under the "memories tab" which is a drop down menu as illustrated below. 





I then went to "find" which brings up a search/find box and I entered Charles's name. I wasn't surprised by the amount of information I found because I knew he had a big part in the history of the Mormons in their move west to Utah, California and Idaho. There were pictures, stories, and newspaper clippings. In the upper right hand corner it read 0-50 of 28,215! The first page of my results are illustrated below.



I have read the terms and conditions and I called the contact number listed for www.FamilySearch.org to verify my understanding of them. These are all in the public domain and can be used by the public. When I cite the source for the documents and photos I also include the contributor's name if it is listed.

While I do have some pictures from other family members regarding Charles Coulson Rich, some of the pictures are ones I probably never would have seen or been able to add to my personal collection otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/09/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-september-5.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete