Saturday, August 8, 2015

Happy Birthday, Grandpa George Rueff


Back in 1989, I went to a Hallmark store near where we lived in Greensboro, North Carolina looking for a birthday gift for my Grandpa, George Rueff. He was going to be 84 that year, what do you buy a man who really didn't need anything? Well, as I was looking around I saw this sign, "The Birthday Times" and thought this is it! All I needed to do was put his name and birthday into the computer and printed this piece of paper that read, "The Birthday Times - Special Edition". It listed his name and birthday and then listed the highlights for the year of 1905 and for the date of his birth. 

In 1905, the population of the United States was 83,822,000 now as of July 4th, 2014 the population in the US was estimated to be 318,857,056. If you click on this link, http://www.census.gov/popclock/, you will find a population clock at the United States Census Bureau which now estimates the US population as of yesterday to be 321,457,554. All I can say is wow, times have certainly changed!

Below is a picture of that special edition. I hope you can read it! Happy 110th Birthday, George! I love you and miss you very much!


Source:

Hallmark Cards Inc., The Birthday Times, digital image, purchased August 1989, in my personal possession.

Online Population Clock, The United States Census Bureau, The United States Department of Commerce, (http://www.census.gov/popclock/ : accessed on 7 August 2015) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment