Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories # 23

 
From now and until Christmas Eve I will be participating in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, 2015 Edition by Thomas MacEntee and the Geneabloggers. If you would like to join you or want to know more about it please see this link.

Today's Christmas memory is about the meaning of Christmas. We are suppose to be able to explain it to someone who has no concept of Christmas. I can only tell you what it means to me but I hope that if I were to find someone with no concept of Christmas that this post would be a good place to start.

For me the meaning of Christmas has changed over the course of my life. As a child it was a man dressed in a red suit trimmed in white fur, with a big white beard. He carried a big sack of toys and drove a sled with eight reindeer. 

As a parent it was making sure I did my best to make sure that my children would understand that Christmas was about family, the special kind of magic that we all have in hearts and I wanted them to know about gifts bestowed upon us from God, faith, hope and love, that is not just about presents. As a grandmother I want Easton to know these things as well.

It is in 1 Corinthians 13:13, we are told of the spiritual gifts that God has given us, " And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 
 
Christmas is a magical time of year. It is our ability to renew our faith in ourselves and in each other. It is our ability to give hope to ourselves and to each other. It is a special kind of magic that comes from our heart. It is our capacity to love and be loved in return.

Today when I think of Christmas and what it means I call upon my faith in God who I know watches over me and mine daily. I call upon my faith that tomorrow will be better than yesterday. I call upon my faith to celebrate the joy of life and it is my faith in God that has seen me through the darkest days in my life.

As Christmas draws closer I think of hope. Hope that I will see world peace in my lifetime. Hope that I will be around to see my grandchildren marry and have children of their own. Hope that the tomorrows to come are better than today. Hope that here in the United States we can find solutions for homelessness and the escalation of the violence here in our homeland. Hope that we overcome the damage that has been done by ignorance.

Christmas always reminds of love. My love for my children, Kenny and David. Myy love for my husband, Tommy. My love for Easton, my precious grandson is a love I have never experienced before and it is a blessing for which I will forever hold in my heart. I think of my love for my parents, sisters and brothers, their spouses and children for my life would not be the same without them. I call upon the love I have for my friends who have seen me at best and even at my worst.


No comments:

Post a Comment