Monday, December 7, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2015 Edition Post # 7

From now and until Christmas Eve I will be participating in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, 2015 Edition by Thomas MacEntee and the Geneabloggers. If you would like to join you or want to know more about it please see this link.

Today's Christmas memory is about Christmas television and movies.

I love the old classic Christmas movies such as "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart, "Miracle on 34th Street" with Maureen O'Hara,"White Christmas" with Bing Crosby,  "Holiday Affair" with Robert Mitchum, "Meet Me in St. Louis" with Judy Garland and "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. As these become digitally remastered and available on DVD I pick them up for my own personal collection.

There are some newer classic Christmas movies though not many that I love to watch at Christmas such as "The Holiday" with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz,  "The Polar Express" with Tom Hanks, "Jack Frost" with Michael Keaton and "Prancer" with Sam Elliott. I have a few of these in my personal DVD collection.

I realize that my lists are not very long but I hate the fact some movies have been shown repeatedly and continuously Christmas Eve and Day, back to back for many years now and it has completely ruined these movies for me.



There are several television programs for Christmas that I love to watch year after year even though I am an adult. I've noticed that some of the shows I remember watching as kid, I can no longer find. Here are a few that I still watch and have in my DVD collection. 
"Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", "Frosty the Snowman", "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town".

There are also regular shows such as NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS New Orleans and JAG which had episodes about the lead characters, helping veterans and showing the bond of the characters outside of the office. In JAG, one of the main characters had a ritual of visiting the Vietnam Memorial Wall on Christmas Eve, the day his father went missing. I always found them meaningful

Then there are Christmas commercials which make me cry at the drop of a hat! You know the ones by Walmart where the guy sneaks down to a house and decorates the outside? Always gives me the chills. 

My children would spend Christmas Day with their Dad when they were growing up. To occupy myself I would watch some of my favorite movies such as "The Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews and "The King and I" with Yul Brynner Or I would go to the movies on Christmas Day with other friends who didn't get to go home, or were single parents but childless for the day like me. We always had a good time. My favorite Christmas Day movie adventure was with my friend Maria. Her mother had suffered a stroke and passed away about 10 days before Christmas. We did 4 movies that day and the one that still sticks in both of our heads is "Dumb and Dumber" starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels and premiered on December 16, 1994.

Sources: 

"Dumb and Dumber", Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dumbanddumber.htm : 1 December 2015)


No comments:

Post a Comment