Saturday, December 13, 2014

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Christmas Cookies

As children, my siblings and I would help my Mom with the baking of our Christmas cookies. We would make pfeffernussee "Rocks" cookies, lebkuchen cookies, springerle cookies, fennel cake cookies with lemon icing, sugar cookies, applesauce cookies, oatmeal cookies, cut-out cookies, peanut butter cookies, spritzer cookies and chocolate chip cookies just to name a few.

We all have our own favorites and when my Mom was baking that particular cookie, it was our time one on one with her. With five children getting one on one time with Mom was always special. We all helped with the cut-our cookies and the decorating of all of the cookies. We would also hand her the ingredients when she asked for them.

I am sharing two recipes today. The first one is our family recipe for Pfeffernusse cookies. When my children were little, they started calling this cookie, "rocks" and the name stuck. Both my son David and my husband Tommy consider them their personal favorites. The recipe is below.


The second recipe I am sharing is my own favorite Fennel Cakes. It is a recipe that my Mom found in the Miami Herald in the late 1960's or early 1970's. When I make them I use both the fennel and anise seeds combined.




If you decide to try them, I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does.


Copyright © Dawn M Kogutkiewicz 2014, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment