Sunday, December 14, 2014

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Santa Claus Christmas Decorations

Growing up Christmas decorations were a big deal in our house. My Mom decorated every space available and still does. During the year her hutch in the dining room holds tea cups and tea pots that belonged to her both of her grandmother's. At Christmas they come down and the spaces are filled with smaller nativity scenes, special ornaments hang from the knobs of the higher draws, and other smaller decorations of the season.

I believe the most treasured of the Christmas decorations in my Mom's possession is the Santa Claus that was hand painted by my grandfather, George K. Rueff. He painted Santa in 1941 for my Mom. On the back is the story of the painting, the date and it is signed by my grandfather. My Mom was four years old when Grandpa made this Santa.



 My Mom started all of us girls a Santa Claus collection of our very own about 20 years ago, maybe longer. I have probably 20 to 30 different Santa's. They are all different too. Some are musical, some light up, and some are ceramic while others are porcelain. They all hold memories of Christmases past and I look forward to the day when I can share their stories with our grandson, Easton. There are way to many to photograph so I picked just a couple to share.

This is my very first Santa Claus. I have had him for as long as I can remember. He is at least as old as I am and I am 52 years old. He lights up too! His right knee has melted from the light bulb that was originally used. A couple of years ago my husband Tommy put a small strand of LED white Christmas lights in him so that the plastic no longer gets hot as it once did. They just don't make Christmas decorations like this anymore. Hopefully this Santa light will last several more years so that I can pass him on to Easton.


The two tall Santa's represent a good portion of my collection. The Santa on the left to me represents an image of perhaps a Victorian era Santa. I also have some that remind more of St. Nicholas or perhaps Father Christmas with his mitered hat and incense burner.

The small one in the middle is glazed ceramic. It is a music box and plays "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". When the music is playing it rocks.

The Santa on the far right is more like a late 20th century Santa. He has over his right shoulder a bag of gifts that are wrapped.

Tomorrow I will share some of my favorite Christmas Ornaments.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment