Saturday, December 27, 2014

Dawning Genealogy 2015 - A Genealogy Do-Over and 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks


This year I started my genealogy blog, Dawning Genealogy with the intention of sharing my research with my family but what I got in return was priceless. I found a genealogy community that offers me suggestions, tips, encouragement and support. I also discovered that my family likes reading my blog.

So what are my plans for 2015? 

I am going start with a bang! I am going to follow Thomas MacEntee's Genealogy Do-Over, (http://www.geneabloggers.com/announcing-genealogy-doover/) which begins on January 2nd. I am setting aside all of my original research which I have been collecting since the summer of 1980. The Genealogy Do-Over is a 13 week process.  
I have taken several of Thomas's Legacy Family Tree Webinar's over the last four years or so and I have always come away with new information, new skills and knowing that I have added to my genealogy repertoire. I have no doubt that I will end this Genealogy Do-Over with a stronger foundation in genealogy.

Like any new genealogist I didn't take very good notes in the beginning, I didn't always write down source information or location. When I began putting all of this information into my Ancestry.com tree I made a really big mistake! I put everyone into one tree. Who is everyone? Well everyone includes my children's paternal lines, my husband's maternal and paternal lines, all of my siblings spouses with all of there maternal and paternal lines, all the maternal and paternal lines of my aunts, uncles, their children and their spouses and their children. You get the idea and with that a tree with more than 94,000 people in it.

I am also accepting Amy Johnson Crow's Challenge, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks for 2015. I started my blog in June of 2014, way to late to accept Amy's challenge for 2014. When I saw her post for December 17th, (http://www.nostorytoosmall.com/posts/announcing-52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-2015-edition/) with the challenge for 2015 I knew I wanted to participate but I just wasn't sure how I wanted to proceed. 

I knew I wanted to start with my children's paternal ancestors and hopefully end with mine. However, my post about my parents will not appear until June when they celebrate their 60th Wedding Anniversary. I have done several posts on individual people in my family but the only posts that were in great detail is my series on my Mormon Pioneers which I will finish up in January. I also knew that I wanted my posts to be in groups but it wasn't until this morning when I read Cathy Meder-Dempsey's plan for her 52 Ancestors, (http://openingdoorsinbrickwalls.wordpress.com/2014/12/26/my-plans-for-the-52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-2015-edition/) that I knew how I wanted to proceed. 

I have a few thank you's I would like to give. First, thank you Thomas MacEntee for the Genealogy Do-Over, I am really looking forward to this. Second thank you Cathy Meder-Dempsey, for allowing me to follow your plan with my own twist to it. Finally, thank you Amy Johnson Crow for keeping the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge for 2015.

4 comments:

  1. Dawn, I'm looking forward to seeing how you use my plan for the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and what twist you will be using! Hope you don't mind my adding the link here. ~ Cathy

    http://openingdoorsinbrickwalls.wordpress.com/2014/12/26/my-plans-for-the-52-ancestors-in-52-weeks-2015-edition/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cathy! No I do not mind you adding the link, I should have thought about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some great plans laid out for 2015. I want to change things up a bit, but haven't decided exactly which route to take yet. So many options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Michelle!

      Thank you, I am hoping for a great 2015 especially with my blog and genealogy. How would you like to change things? Whichever way you choose I wish you luck and I am looking forward to reading your blog!

      Take care,

      Dawn

      Delete