Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2015 Edition Post # 2

From now and until Christmas Eve I will be participating in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, 2015 Edition by Thomas MacEntee and the Geneabloggers. If you would like to join you or want to know more about it please see this link.

Today's Christmas memory is about Christmas cards. 

As a child I loved going to the mailbox to see how many cards were there and who they were from. I would read them after my Mom. We would hang them around the house as part of decorations. My Mom still does this and she keeps them in decorative Christmas basket for everyone to see. As I got older and especially during our first few years in North Carolina I wanted to hear from the friends and families I had grown up with in Florida. It was my way of staying close and learning how aunts, uncles and cousins had done through out the year.

I love Christmas cards and it is one of my favorite holiday things to do. I am very particular with writing the out the addressee information and the return address. I don't like using state abbreviations so I write out the name of the state. Since our last name is long I have found it easier, to use labels for our return address but only if I can find matching labels otherwise, I hand write it. 

Depending on who the card is going to I may write a note to the family or friend I am sending the card to. When my kids were growing up I would send pictures of the boys or I may send a picture that had all three of us in the picture. The cards with pictures were meant for family and a some very good friends. It was tough as a single mother to buy Christmas cards and stamps to send to everyone but I did manage to send them to my grandfather, my aunt's and uncle and to a very select group of friends. At the time it was all I could afford.

I like my cards to be more traditional too. I don't want cartoon characters or cards that say "Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings either. I want cards that say "Merry Christmas" preferably on the outside and on the inside of the card. I love cards that are sentimental with their graphics and the message inside the card as well. I like ones that have beautiful winter scenes, a Nativity scene, a beautiful old world image of Santa Claus or snowmen. I don't care for caricatures images either. Yes, I know I am picky!

I love using fancy pens to address my envelopes! They could be scrapbooking markers, pens that write in gold or silver, calligraphy pens or felt tip pens. I use decorative seals on the back of the envelope. I can only hope that the person who receives my Christmas card can see the love and detail I put into the card chosen for them. I display the cards I receive (depending on what kind they are) on my bookshelves and the photo cards everyone uses these days I proudly show off on my refridgerator doors! Photo cards that are calendars stay on my fridge all year long too.

Here are a few of the card photos I have received in the last few years.

 

Editor's Note: I am reusing photos from last year's ACCM and portions of the original post.



No comments:

Post a Comment