Saturday, December 5, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2015 Edition Post # 5

Originally posted by Edna Wakeham at  http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GenHumor/2011-12/1323369499.



From now and until Christmas Eve I will be participating in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, 2015 Edition by Thomas MacEntee and the Geneabloggers. If you would like to join you or want to know more about it please see this link.

Today's Christmas memory is about Christmas Cookies.


As children, my siblings and I would help my Mom with the baking of our Christmas cookies. We would make Pfeffernussee "Rocks" cookies, Lebkuchen cookies, Springerle cookies, Fennel cake cookies with lemon icing, Sugar cookies, Applesauce cookies, Oatmeal cookies, Cut-Out cookies, Peanut Butter cookies, Spritzer cookies and Chocolate Chip cookies just to name a few.

We all have our own favorites and when my Mom was baking that particular cookie, it was our time one on one with her. With five children getting one on one time with Mom was always special. We all helped with the cut-our cookies and the decorating of all of the cookies. We would also hand her the ingredients when she asked for them.

I remember one year when I made cookies for my co-workers and boxed them up and presented them as gifts with a mason jar full of homemade hot chocolate or homemade Russian tea mix. I find that giving homemade cookies, hot chocolate or Russian tea mix is always big hit with my friends and always appreciated too. 

Back in 2000 we adopted a greyhound named Ryder. That year as I was making Christmas cookies one evening when he decided he wanted some for himself to some cookies. I should have known that with Ryder anything was possible! He was tall and it didn't take long for him to figure out how to nudge the cookies on my dining room table close to the edge with his nose and eat my cookies! Even worse they chocolate cookies and I knew chocolate was dangerous for dogs but it didn't seem faze him one little bit! Needless to say but we didn't have many chocolate cookies that year at Christmas!

I am thinking about making Christmas cookies this year to box up for my nieces and nephews as part of their Christmas present this year. Just trying to decide what their favorites are and how many batches I will have to make.

My favorite Christmas cookies are fennel cookies or anise cookies that are dipped in lemon icing. My Mom got the recipe from the Miami Herald Newspaper back in the late 1960's or early 1970's. When I make them I usually make a batch with fennel and one with anise, to tell them apart I sprinkle the icing with different colored decorating sugar immediately after icing them. The recipe is below.
 

Editor's Note: I am reusing photos from last year's ACCM and portions of the original post.


No comments:

Post a Comment